Cambodia Investment Review
Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX) CEO H.E. Hong Sok Hour has said that most listed stocks on the exchange are currently trading at discount prices because of the current global market situation as the exchange’s flagship ‘My first stock’ three-day educational exhibition attracts over 2,000 new traders.
According to the exchange, the event was very successful with more than 2.05 million page reaches and more than 81 thousand page visits for local investors to better understand the stock market and the event.
Investors have traded a total of $15.38 million in buying and selling stocks listed on the Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX) in the third quarter of 2022 as the index falls 5% from 491.45 points in Q2 to 467.02 points.
To read more about the CSX Q3’2022 investor data click here.
Hong Sok Hour, Chief Executive Officer of CSX said the local stock market was getting much more interest from the public adding a lot of people came to visit our exhibition, asked for information, and opened a trading account.
“They were willing to reach us, not like last time when it was us trying to reach them. As the result, we got more than 2,000 new accounts. If we compare to the monthly trading account opening of more than 300 accounts, we will get equivalent statistic of seven months in these three-day exhibitions,” he said.
Hong Sok Hour added that most of the listed stocks are currently traded at discount prices because of the current global market situation, the uncertainty of the world economy, war, inflation crisis, etc.
“This is a good chance for investors to own good companies with very good prices. The stock prices will bounce back shortly and every investor will gain a very high profit from the stock investment,” he said.
To read our CIR Leader Talks with Hong Sok Hour click here.
5th “My First Stock” Exhibition
The 5th Cambodia Securities Market Exhibition “My First Stock” 2022 was held on the morning of Friday, October 21, 2022, and was officially inaugurated by Dr. Hean Sahib, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Economy And Finance, H.E. Sou Socheat, Director General of the Securities and Exchange Regulator of Cambodia, Hong Sok Hour alongside the management of financial institutions, national and international companies, and many institutional investors.
The Cambodia Securities Market Exhibition 2022 is to be held for 3 days, from October 21 to 23, 2022 at Aeon Mall Phnom Penh for the following important purposes:
- Continue to promote and increase the confidence of existing investors to continue to trust the stock market via face-to-face meetings with listed companies
- Provide the public with a broader understanding of investing in the market, such as opening a trading account, trading methods, market data, reviewing the company’s financial statements, understanding dividend distribution, as well as other topics related to the whole market
- The official launch of the online trading account opening system: this marks the next step and milestone for the Cambodia Securities Exchange; this allows investors to open accounts from anywhere, which can facilitate a lot of investors and further increase trading, as well as showing off the progress of the Financial Technology development in the securities market
- Official Launch of the Second Generation Mobile App “Phsar Hun”; this application has been updated to add new features to allow investors to get to know the stock market more easily. This Second Generation program has become an important gateway for the public to start learning about the stock market, find a securities company, open a trading account, monitor stock prices, and access other information
- Launch a special promotion package for new investors and promote the opening of trading accounts, providing the public with a free Investor ID and trading account with a 50% trading fee discount until the end of the year
- Winners of the 5th Stock Trading Competition held from March 22, 2021 to June 17, 2021 to promote trades and provide new knowledge and experiences for investors. While the market index fell by almost 15% during the competition, about 35% of investors still managed to have a positive profit margin and our champion investor has a profit margin of 41.45%, which shows that investors are getting better at managing their investments and risks
CSX has been striving to continuously modernize our digital systems
Hong Sok Hour stated during the event launch that CSX has been striving to continuously modernize our digital systems such as having created the CSX Trade application that we have officially launched during the Cambodia Securities Exchange 10th Anniversary National Conference.
To read more about the Cambodia Securities Exchange 10th Anniversary National Conference click here.
According to the exchange the establishment of an online trading account opening system is a new milestone of the Cambodia Securities Exchange, and the modernization of the “Phsar Hun” 2nd Generation Information Library, which makes it even easier for our investors to get to know the stock market.
Cambodia Securities Exchange will also continue to put in more efforts to modernize our systems to further facilitate the investors with their investments, they added.
Sou Socheat has highly evaluated the organization of such exhibitions for the promotional campaign aims to promote the growth of the capital market in Cambodia.
He continued that the securities market in Cambodia has been rapidly developing in terms of legal, the infrastructure of the market, the issuer, as well as the investors – both national and international. Therefore, all stakeholders must work together to further develop the market to match up with the momentum of the market demands.
Raise public awareness and promote the study of investment opportunities
Dr. Hean Sahib stated that the Cambodia Securities Market Exhibition “My First Stock” 2022 is a good initiative from the Cambodia Securities Exchange to raise public awareness and promote the study of investment opportunities in the Cambodian securities markets.
Meanwhile, he added it also serves to strengthen transparency, confidence, and predictability, which are essential in allowing the Cambodia Securities Exchange to move forward and develop sustainably.
CSX has made significant progress in the past, such as the establishment of the CSX Trade App mobile trading application, the online trading account opening system, and the modernization of the Phsar Hun App to teach investors.
To read more about CIR Media and SERC signing a partnership to promote Cambodia’s capital markets click here.
“The continuous engagement with potential companies to list on the stock exchange, the feasibility studies to develop various investment products, and the establishment of mechanisms to facilitate trading such as trading without a 100 % deposit; this will make our the market more active,” he said.
“Therefore, on behalf of the Ministry of Economy and Finance and as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Cambodia Securities Exchange, I would like to support such activities to reach out to more people as well as request all stakeholders to participate more in attracting investors, facilitating trades, providing better services to investors, and attracting more listed companies,” he added.
This event has attributed a success thanks to the support from the Securities and Exchange Regulator of Cambodia, listed companies, securities companies and other sponsors.